Monday, February 9, 2009

Texting takes all the fun out of dating



A recent blog post by Niki Payne of the LA Examiner poses a fascinating question: what place (if any) does the text message have in the early phases of getting to know someone? Payne suggests that the when a woman gives a man her phone number, she expects a call and not a text. She further claims that the text indicates a desire for a "casual encounter" more than an actual relationship.


To be honest, I'd never thought about this one. In my personal life, I use the text message as a quick way to not interrupt someone else's life. If I call you, you may have to stop what you're doing to answer. The text allows you to get back to me when its convenient. However, I'm begining to see where Ms. Payne is coming from. I've railed about the alienation that technology has created in our lives before, so perhaps this is another example of the de-humanizing effects of our Crackberries and email accounts.

Moral of the story: take the time for a phone call. Moreover, take the time for a hand-written note instead of an email. Drop by to see someone and bypass the phone call. Heck, volunteer for a charity one afternoon instead of just writing a check. I'd suggest we might benefit from a bit more human interaction and a little less ones and zeros.